Rehabilitation: Physical and Occupational Therapy
Rehabilitation is an integral part of recovery from a musculoskeletal injury or surgery. At CMC, highly skilled specialists care for patients across the full range of orthopaedic conditions, in a state-of-the-art environment. Working with you one-on-one, the goal is to improve strength and coordination and return you to your previous levels of function and performance.
Outpatient musculoskeletal rehabilitation at CMC is provided Rusk Rehabilitation, ranked #1 rehab program in New York by U.S. News & World Report since 1989, and among the top 10 in the country. This world-renowned musculoskeletal rehabilitation team treats both pre- and post-surgical patients, as well as non-surgical disorders and injuries. These include:
- Conditions affecting the bones, tendons, ligaments and muscles
- Disorders of the back, neck, hip, elbow, shoulder, and hand
- Joint pain related to arthritis
For more information or to make an appointment, call us at 646-501-7077.
Personalized Rehabilitation Services: Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy
Depending on the patient’s needs and based on a thorough evaluation, the following departments may be involved in ongoing outpatient treatment:
- Physical Therapy, provided by therapists with advanced degrees and certifications in the treatment of surgical and nonsurgical musculoskeletal conditions or injuries involving upper extremities, lower extremities, and spine.
- Occupational Therapy, provided by therapists with advanced degrees and certifications in the areas of orthopaedics, sports-specific injuries, and hand rehabilitation. This includes expertise in surgical and nonsurgical conditions, conditions or injuries of the upper extremity, and splinting.
CMC also houses outpatient Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Services (Physiatry). Rusk physiatrists (rehabilitation physicians) at CMC specialize in musculoskeletal rehabilitation medicine, and address a patient’s condition or injury through a non-operative treatment regimen.
In addition to therapeutic rehabilitation services, The Sports Performance Center is a state-of-the art fitness resource for individuals who want to improve their fitness level and patients who have completed their rehabilitation and want to build on those gains. The Sports Performance Center offers personalized fitness, conditioning, and sports-specific programs using the latest techniques and equipment in CMC’s 7,200-square-foot therapy gym and fitness area.
CMC’s 7,200 square-foot therapy gym houses cutting-edge equipment not available at any other center in New York City. This includes:
- State-of-the-art Cybex resistance and cardiovascular equipment
- The Alter-G anti-gravity treadmill, incorporating the same technology NASA uses to train its astronauts, to “unweight” individuals to reduce impact on lower extremities following injuries or during training
- Shuttle MVP Pro plyometric trainer for those returning to higher-level sports
- Woodway high-performance treadmill that increases shock absorption for runners and triathletes
- Chattanooga Triton DTS Traction System for cervical and lumbar spine conditions
- Real-time ultrasound imaging, a valuable biofeedback tool for neuromuscular re-education
- Cold Laser for the treatment of muscle strains, joint sprains, tendinitis and overuse injuries
- Game Ready Injury Treatment System combines cryotherapy with compression to effectively reduce swelling
- Pilates Reformers that emphasize the core muscles while exercising the extremities
How To Reach Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy or the Sports Performance Center
For more information or to make an appointment with one of the rehabilitation services at CMC, call us at 646-501-7077.
New patients: access patient forms here to complete them before your appointment and save time.
If you are a patient outside of NYU, please make sure to have an up to date prescription for your PT or OT when making an appointment.